Pages

11:48 pm

IN CONVERSATION | RUBY BARBER




To mark the first day of Spring, we catch up with our favourite Berlin-based florist, Ruby Barber of Mary Lennox
Ruby is internationally renowned for her awe-inspiringly beautiful arrangements and meticulous eye for detail. We take a look inside her new studio in east Berlin, which boasts a rich array of foliage and carefully refined arrangements that truly take our breath away.
It is easy to see why Vogue has recently deemed her 'one of the best florists to follow'.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A field of spring flowers and a pair of clippers in my hand. 
What is your greatest fear?
I struggle on a day-to-day basis with the unpredictability of nature. Working with such delicate and fragile produce can be a really stressful exercise. I am constantly worrying about weather and flowers wilting. It’s scary to feel so responsible for produce that you only have a certain amount of control over. 



What is your favourite colour and flower?
I am really fond of dusty pink. My favourite flower is always changing but I am drawn to fragrant flowers. If I had to pick one flower to have for the rest of my life I would probably choose Sweet Pea.


What is your current state of mind?
Anticipating. Working by appointment means that I am always waiting for the next job to come in. This year every job I have done has been something completely new for me. I've worked on my first large scale plant installation and my first destination wedding, to name a few firsts.  It’s been really exciting and I am constantly wondering what is around the corner. 

Which talent would you most like to have?
I am working on developing a green thumb. Having a cutting garden is a dream of mine and I would really like to be able to grow some of my favourite flowers to work with.





Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Constance Spry is my all time favourite lady. Although she lived and worked in the 1920's her philosophy and style remains current and innovative. 

Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
Mary Lennox and the story of the Secret Garden is definitely up there with my favourite fictional characters.



What is your greatest extravagance?
I go through stages of extravagant behaviour.  For years I was obsessed with having my hair professionally blow dried. Thankfully I have conquered that particular extravagance. These days, every time I finish a job I treat myself to a manicure.
Where would you like to live?
At some point I'd really like to live in Japan. The flower culture there is so rich and I think I could learn more about the art of simplicity across all aspects of my work and life by spending more time in Japan. 





What is your most treasured possession?
I have a small collection of 4 leaf clovers I've found over the years that are very special to me. 

Who are your favourite writers?
I feel really guilty about it but I haven't sat down to read a book in a long time. I am big on magazines though. I like to read The Plant Journal and Wilder Quarterly the most.

Who is your favourite artist?
My favourite artist at the moment is Jamie North. I am obsessed with his botanical sculptures. 


Check out Ruby's stunning work on both her website and Instagram.
All photos taken by the talented Melanie Meissner at the Mary Lennox studio.


SHARE:
Blogger Template Made By pipdig